Sunday, November 13, 2016

Weighing In. . . . Election 2016



It's been four days since Donald J. Trump was elected President of the United States, and since then it seems as though the world has gone mad. What is bothering me the most is that myself and others who voted for Trump are being labeled as racist, homophobic, xenophobic, stupid, UN-American, the list is long.

 First I am not a racist in any way shape or form. I am a Navy brat (very proud of that!), I was a Navy wife for 23 years, I lived all over our country and I have friends from all different races. In fact when I lived in Virginia a woman whose daughter was having her sport's physical at the same time as my youngest daughter started talking to me and at one point she looked at me and said "Why are you so comfortable talking to a black woman?" I responded "I don't see color, I see a person. It's what I've taught my daughters." I will never forget that conversation.
I am also far from being homophobic. Together my husband, Mark and I have six kids, we have three kids that are apart of the LGBTQ community. I am blessed that I have a very open and honest relationship with my two daughters and their partners.
I am also not stupid. While I have a high IQ for me that is not what makes someone intelligent. I have lived life and learned through making both good and bad decisions, and believe me I've made a lot of bad decisions. One gave me three beautiful daughters and lasted 23 years.
As for being xenophobic, I have no problem with anyone of any race coming into America. I just want them to come in legally. I will be honest, when I see a woman in a hijab I get a little nervous. I understand that all Muslims are not like the ones that flew through our towers on 9/11, and I have to continue to remember that. Like most Americans they know exactly where they were and what they were doing when they heard about it. Just like my grandparents remember Pearl Harbor.
Between my dad and my ex-husband I have been apart of military life for forty-three years. I have a great respect for the men and women who serve our country, in both our armed services and police departments. I understand the sacrifice that not only the military members make but also the family members who support them.
All of our children are grown and gone, most raising children of their own. While I can't speak regarding my three step-kids, I can speak about my three girls. They were taught to see a person, not race, religion, sexual - orientation, and they do. I said on my Facebook page after the election that it was pretty amazing to realize that you and your child don't agree on something as important as the election. Why would I say that? Because it showed that I did my job. That I taught them to be strong, independent thinkers, and make up their own mind. I didn't want carbon copy's of their father and I, I wanted individuals who would think for themselves, and they do.

My point in writing this is to express my feelings about the election. I believe the news media is also feeding the panic regarding the election by not reporting the truth, and assuming what Trump will do and why he's done certain things. I would like to see everyone take a breath and realize that all that has happened is that Trump is now President - elect, and he has not done anything but won an election. Let's give him a chance, extend to him the same courtesy's we would want extended to us, and go outside, breathe and look at the super moon.


Please be respectful in your comments.



No comments:

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...