Friday, July 15, 2022

First Line Friday - Featuring The Rose and The Thistle by Laura Frantz

 


Welcome to First Line Friday! Today, I am featuring the upcoming release by Laura Frantz, The Rose, and the Thistle. This releases in January 2023. You may wonder how I have the first line for a book that hasn't been released yet. Well. . . after I finished my editing courses I was approached by Laura Frantz to edit the first ten chapters of her current work in progress. I was and am still blown away that she asked me to edit it, and that the first line I changed she liked and kept. 



I love this cover. It's so unique and different from some of her others.


First Line

April 1715

Chateu de Saint-Germain-en-Laye

France

Struck by sunlight, the chateau was a blinding, rose-hued white. 


I'd give you more but I'm not sure it made it into the book.


About the book:

In 1715, Lady Blythe Hedley's father is declared an enemy of the British crown because of his Jacobite sympathies, forcing her to flee her home in northern England. Secreted to the tower of Wedderburn Castle in Scotland, Lady Blythe awaits who will ultimately be crowned king. But in a house with seven sons and numerous servants, her presence soon becomes known.

No sooner has Everard Hume lost his father, Lord Wedderburn, than Lady Hedley arrives with the clothes on her back and her mistress in tow. He has his own problems--a volatile brother with dangerous political leanings, an estate to manage, and a very young brother in need of comfort and direction in the wake of losing his father. It would be best for everyone if he could send this misfit heiress on her way as soon as possible.

Drawn into a whirlwind of intrigue, shifting alliances, and ambitions, Lady Blythe must be careful whom she trusts. Her fortune, her future, and her very life are at stake. Those who appear to be adversaries may turn out to be allies--and those who pretend friendship may be enemies.
 


Baker Book House has a preorder special going on and Laura Frantz has been signing bookplates for preorders. Click the image below to get yours!



 

I hope this was a fun First Line Friday edition. Hopefully, Ms. Frantz will stop by and answer some questions about the book.


Visit Reading is My SuperPower for First Line Friday link-up.


Please leave your first line in the comments. 





5 comments:

Christy Janes said...

Oh my!! Lucky you! I cannot wait to read this one soon. ��

Andi said...

Christy, it was the most amazing thing I’ve had happen to me! The bad thing I’ve found about editing and it happened while I was working on these ten chapters was getting so caught up in the story that I forgot I was working. I can’t wait to read it in its entirety. You’ll have fun creating jewels for this book.

Paula Shreckhise said...

I’m looking forward to that book! My aren’t you lucky!

My first line comes from Heirlooms by Sandra Byrd:
March 1958
Helen Devries carefully removed her nurse’s cap, fluffing her platinum , back combed bouffant, crackling the Aqua Net laquering it in place.

Andi said...

I’m looking forward to reading it in its entirety.
I loved Heirlooms! Sandra Byrd really out did herself with that book.

DGrandinetti said...

I'm looking forward to reading this!

My first line is from A Need to Protect by Susanne Dietze: https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/07/15/a-need-to-protect/

Hope you've had a great weekend!

These Tangled Threads: A Novel of Biltmore by Sarah Loudin Thomas Reviewed

  About the book: Title: These Tangled Threads: A Novel of Biltmore Author: Sarah Loudin Thomas Genre: Christian Historical Fiction, Histori...