Friday, June 14, 2019

My Dearest Dietrich, A Novel of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Last Love by Amanda Barratt



About the book:
Title: My Dearest Dietrich; A Novel of Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Last Love.
Author: Amanda Barratt
Publisher: Kregel

A staggering love illuminating the dark corners of a Nazi prison…
Renowned German pastor and theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer is famous for his resistance to the Nazi regime and for his allegiance to God over government. But what few realize is that the last years of his life also held a love story that rivals any romance novel.
Maria von Wedemeyer knows the realities of war. Her beloved father and brother have both been killed on the battlefield. The last thing this spirited young woman needs is to fall for a man under constant surveillance by the Gestapo. How can she give another piece of her heart to a man so likely to share the same final fate? Yet when Dietrich Bonhoeffer, an old family friend, comes to comfort the von Wedemeyers after their losses, she discovers that love isn't always logical.
Dietrich himself has determined to keep his distance from romantic attachments. There is too much work to be done for God, and his involvement in the conspiracy is far too important. But when he encounters a woman whose intelligence and conviction match his own, he's unprepared for how easy it is to give away his heart.
With their deep love comes risk--and neither Dietrich nor Maria is prepared for just how great that risk soon becomes.
Based on detailed historical research, this true love story is at once beautiful and heartrending. My Dearest Dietrich sheds new light on a world-famous theologian . . . and the woman who changed his life.

Buy a copy HERE!


About Amanda Barratt:

ECPA best-selling author Amanda Barratt fell in love with writing in grade school when she wrote her first story—a spinoff of Jane Eyre. Now, Amanda writes romantic, historical fiction, penning stories of beauty and brokenness set against the backdrop of bygone eras not so very different from our own. Her novel My Dearest Dietrich: A Novel of Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Lost Love released from Kregel Publications in June 2019.
She’s also the author of My Heart Belongs in Niagara Falls, New York: Adele’s Journey, as well as seven novellas with Barbour Publishing. Two of her novellas have been finalists in the FHL Reader’s Choice Awards.
Amanda lives in the woods of Michigan with her fabulous family, where she can be found reading way too many books, plotting her next novel, and jotting down imaginary travel itineraries for her dream vacation to Europe.



My Thoughts:

I do not have adequate words to do this book justice. It is beautiful, haunting, and reads like a love song with poetic prose. This is one story that I will not forget anytime soon. 

I'd heard of Dietrich Bonhoeffer but didn't know much about him. I definitely didn't know he was a spy and I'd never heard of Maria von Wedemeyer. Their love story is one for the ages and clearly not one that is well known. 

Living in WWII Germany had to be one of scariest places ever, and Ms. Barratt brings that across clearly. Both Dietrich and Maria are portrayed real and in full color for the reader. Ms. Barratt's research is evident on each page. 

In our world today where our history keeps to remove the horror of the Holocaust books like Amanda Barratt's is sorely needed for not only the generation of today but future generations.

I highly recommend this book! It is a definite must read and will be on my list for the top books of 2019.













Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book via the publisher as a part of Amanda Barratt's street team. I was not required to write a review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

2 comments:

thebeccafiles said...

I sincerely hope I can get better caught up on my review pile so that I can read this one! I've seen so many great reviews and I hope to get to read it too!

Andi said...

It will be well worth the wait when you get to it. I feel like I am finally making a dent be it a small dent in my review pile.

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...