Thursday, December 21, 2017

The Greatest Showman - Thoughts . . .





I am not sure I can write an accurate review of this movie. This really isn't a movie it is an experience.

In 2016 I read a book by Kristy Cambron, titled The Ringmaster's Wife which I absolutely adored, and after watching this movie I will have to read again. This movie was this book coming to life and I absolutely adored it!

The music is bold, and attention grabbing. I was dancing in my seat. Besides the music being bold the costumes were bold, colorful, and fit for not only the time period, but the movie itself.

The story of PT Barnum was engaging. His starting as the son of a poor tailor, and his determination to make something of himself. I took a lot away from the movie, which is why I say this is an experience not just a movie. PT Barnum was a man who believed in dreams and celebrating humanity in all forms. Critic's of PT Barnum said he exploited oddities, when in actuality he celebrated them, because he brought them out of the shadows and showed that they are people just like the rest of us.

One of my favorite quotes comes from Paul Sparks, who plays the newspaper critic, James Gordon Bennett, who is not particularly fond of PT Barnum.

"Another critic might have called your show 'a celebration of humanity.'"

PT Barnum's response "The noblest art is that of making others happy."

In this case both are right. PT Barnum celebrated humanity, and being able to use any art form to make another person happy is noble.

My bottom line:

This is a must see movie, that is perfect for the entire family! I don't remember one cuss word, which is amazing coming out of Hollywood. I've read that this was a movie Hugh Jackman desired to make, and it took seven years from conception to reality.




No comments:

These Tangled Threads: A Novel of Biltmore by Sarah Loudin Thomas Reviewed

  About the book: Title: These Tangled Threads: A Novel of Biltmore Author: Sarah Loudin Thomas Genre: Christian Historical Fiction, Histori...