Friday, May 26, 2017

First Line Friday #21





We made it! It's not only Friday, it is the beginning of a three day weekend, and also the kick off to summer! YAY!!! I've been waiting for summer since winter started. With summer around the corner, so is wedding season, I know because I am a June bride, so I thought I'd feature a wedding book that is a must read, and perfect for your summer reading.


About the book:


An old, forgotten chapel holds the key to love and forgiveness.

Retired hall-of-fame football coach Jimmy Westbrook never imagined anything would come of his labor of love—building a wedding chapel for Collette Greer, the woman he fell in love with in 1949. But now a realtor wants the land the chapel sits on, and he sees no reason to hang onto the past.

Photographer Taylor Branson is trying to make a life for herself in New York. Leaving her hometown of Heart’s Bend, Tennessee, she put a lot of things behind her, including her family’s string of failed marriages. When she falls head-over-heels for Jack Gillingham, a top ad man, their whirlwind romance and elopement leave her with doubts. Jack, while genuine in his love for Taylor, can never seem to find the right way to show her he really cares.

When a post-mortem letter from Taylor’s Granny Peg shows up, along with an old photo, she is driven to uncover family secrets and the secret to her own happiness, starting with an assignment to photograph an unknown, obscure wedding chapel back in Heart’s Bend.

Taylor begins a mission to convince Jimmy that the chapel is worth saving—and that forgiveness and healing might happen within the chapel’s walls . . . for both of them.


 First Line:

Jimmy
Heart's Bend, Tennessee July 1948        

Jimmy's journey began with a photograph. One of two girls standing next to a slender bride gripping a weak cluster of flowers, the shade of a stone chapel falling over their faces. 

What's your first line this week? Reading something fun for the three day weekend? Let me know in the comments, and then visit my friends to see their first line.

As always mark your place, and keep reading!


Amanda at With A Joyful Noise 

Beth Erin at Faithfully Bookish 


Bree at Bibliophile Reviews  


Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower 


Heather at Encouraging Words From the Tea Queen


Jessica at  A Baker's Perspective  


Kathleen at Kathleen Denly


Katie at Fiction Aficionado


Lauraine at Lauraine's Notes 


Rachel at Bookworm Mama 


Robin at Robin's Nest 


Sarah at All The Book Blog Names Are Taken


Sydney at Singing Librarian 


Christina of Moments Dipped in Ink

Molly of Cafinated Reads

                                      
Trish @ Joy of Reading

Jeanette @ CJReads



23 comments:

Fiction Aficionado said...

Great opening! I have the first line from Teresa Tysinger's upcoming release on my blog, but here I'm going to share the first line from 'Nightshade' by Ronie Kendig, in honour of its recent re-release:

“Gut pressed to the spine of his Hayabusa, Max Jacobs bore down the mountainous two-lane road.”

Have a great weekend!

Caryl Kane said...

My first line comes from FIRSTBORN by Tosca Lee.

Six weeks ago, I woke up in a cabin in the north woods of Maine with no memory of the last two years or any pertinent details of my life before.

Happy Weekend and Happy Reading!

Dinh said...

My first line is:
Once there was a tree… ~The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
I have been reading this book to my kids every night for the last month. They love it!

Dinh @Arlene's Book Club

Trisha said...

Usually I have an additional line to share aside from the one on my blog. But today, I don't have an additional line. Usually I snatch a book my son is reading, but I was in such a rush to get out the door this morning that it didn't happen. I enjoyed reading the first line you shared. From everything I heard about this book, it sounds really good. I hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Amanda Tero said...

This week, I'm trying to put some reading time into "The Memoirs of General William T. Sherman" (for research) and "Threads of Suspicion (by Dee Henderson--my first of hers to read).

Becky said...

Love all of Rachel Hauck's books!!
Happy Friday!! My first line is from White by Denise Weimer: "The dream started the way Jennifer's actual visit to the house at 104 Main Street, Hermon, had begun, on a road that hurtled past green fields & dust-blown wildflowers into forever, ending in a community time had forgotten."

Beth Erin said...

Have a great weekend! I'm currently reading...

The euphoria of winning a hard case vied in her thoughts with wondering what came next as Haden McCarthy left the Alexandria courthouse.

Beyond Justice by Cara Putman

Andi said...

I just got the updated version of this book. I remember reading it when it first came out. Have a great weekend!

Andi said...

I loved this book of Tosca Lee's. What am I saying I love her books! Have a great weekend!

Andi said...

I used to read that to my kids. I need to get a copy for my grandkids.

Andi said...

You can't go wrong with a Rachel Hauck book! Enjoy your weekend!

Andi said...

Dee Henderson is great!

Andi said...

I can't wait to read her new one The Writing Desk.

Andi said...

I have an advanced copy on my kindle and I can't wait to read it! Happy Weekend!!

1bgpayne said...

From the prologue of Seven Brides for Seven Mail-Order Husbands Romance Collection
Kansas, 1865
Abigail Melton entered the kitchen to the sight of her mother slumped over the table, a telegram clutched in one hand.

The fictional town of Turtle Springs lost almost all their men to the Civil War.

Cafinated-Reads Molly said...

Rachel Hauck!! Love her work! My FLF is: "A bone-chilling wind lashed at the trees, scattering bits of debris across the yard", from The Farmer's Market Mishap by Wanda/Jean Brunstetter.

JaneReads said...

This was a great book, Rachel Hauck sure knows how to hook readers.
On my blog is the first line from Irene Onorato’s upcoming release so I have decided to share the first line from a book that’s gotten buried on my kindle entitled Back Home Again by Melody Carlson.

“Thin rays of afternoon sunlight filtered through the leaves of the old maple tree that dominated the front yard of the Howard family home.”

Unknown said...

I love Rachel Hauck's books!

Here's mine from a book I just finished reading: Count Me in by Mikal Dawn.

"The little hairs on the back of Allegra Spencer's neck stood at attention."

Andi said...

Eeks! That's quite a first line! Have a great weekend!

Andi said...

I love her books too! I read her debut Diva Nashvegas years ago.

Andi said...

I have enjoyed Melody Carlson's books too. Happy Weekend!!

Andi said...

I love that line! You can literally feel it! Happy Weekend!!

englishmysteriesblog said...

Beautiful book cover! I will have to add this book to my Goodreads list. :)

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...