Friday, March 31, 2017

First Line Friday #13



I am featuring Steven Curtis Chapman's new book Between Heaven and the Real World; My Story today. I snagged a signed copy at our Family Christian Store's going out of business sale. I have a lot of respect for him and can't wait to read his book.


About the book:

For decades, Steven Curtis Chapman's music and message have brought hope and inspiration to millions around the world. Now, for the first time, Steven openly shares the experiences that have shaped him, his faith, and his music in a life that has included incredible highs and faith-shaking lows.
Readers will be captivated by this exclusive look into Steven's childhood and challenging family dynamic growing up, how that led to music and early days on the road, his wild ride to the top of the charts, his relationship with wife Mary Beth, and the growth of their family through births and adoptions. In addition to inside stories from his days of youth to his notable career, including the background to some of his best-loved songs, readers will walk with Steven down the devastating road of loss after the tragic death of five-year-old daughter Maria. And they'll experience his return to the stage after doubting he could ever sing again.
Poignant, gut-wrenchingly honest, yet always hopeful, Steven offers no sugary solutions to life's toughest questions. Yet out of the brokenness, he continues to trust God to one day fix what is unfixable in this life. This backstage look at the down-to-earth superstar they've come to love will touch fans' lives and fill their hearts with hope. Includes black-and-white photos throughout.


First Line:

Carnegie Hall Y'all

The sun was turning the freshly fallen snow to slush under my feet as I walked the familiar sidewalks of New York City on a clear February day.

Visit my other blogging friends read their first line and leave yours in the comments.

Amanda at With A Joyful Noise 

Beth Erin at Faithfully Bookish 

Bree at Bibliophile Reviews  

Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower 

Heather at Encouraging Words From the Tea Queen

Jessica at  A Baker's Perspective  

Kathleen at Kathleen Denly

Katie at Fiction Aficionado

Lauraine at Lauraine's Notes 

Rachel at Bookworm Mama 

Robin at Robin's Nest 

Sarah at All The Book Blog Names Are Taken

Sydney at Singing Librarian 




30 comments:

Fiction Aficionado said...

Sounds like a good read. I've got the first line from Angela K. Couch's "The Patriot and the Loyalist" this week. :-)

Becky said...

Ooooh! Yours sounds really good! I will look at it.
My first line is from For the Love of Grace by Kimberly Rae Jordan
“Grace Anderson stared straight ahead at the white wall of a small hospital room.”

Caryl Kane said...

Andie, I too admire Steven Curtis Chapman!

Prologue

Dublin, Ireland, 1916

She heard it before she felt it. Harsh air sucking through clenched teeth, the grunt of an arm raised, the soft swish of a hand slicing the air. - A HEART REVEALED by Julie Lessman

Happy Friday and Happy Reading!

Amanda Tero said...

Stephen Curtis Chapman... how interesting! I like some of his albums.

Beth Erin said...

I'm starting The Memory of You by Catherine West today!

The wood-paneled walls of the boardroom were closing in.

Andi said...

I've heard nothing but great things about it, and am anxious to start it.

Andi said...

You will love this book! It's Julie's favorite of the series.

Andi said...

I haven't read that book yet.

Andi said...

His new album is great.

Andi said...

Hmm...intriguing.

Kay Garrett said...

From My Heart Belongs in the Superstition Mountains: Carmela’s Quandary by Susan Page Davis
You get out there, and I mean now.

englishmysteriesblog said...

I can't wait to pick up this book. Steven Curtis Chapman is one of my favorite Christian singers. :) I got to see him and Third Day perform last year in concert...it was awesome!

Anne Rightler said...

My first encounter with light as more than illumination from a flashlight was on our homestead in Alaska at age five.
Introduction to Who Told You That You Were Naked by William E Combs

Alison Boss said...

LOVE Steven Curtis Chapman!

My first line is:

“Lucy knew she was going to regret this.”

~Love, Lies & Typewriters: A Wartime Western Romance Novella
by Heather Blanton

Debbie Clatterbuck said...

I have never listened to Steven Curtis Chapman sing and the book he wrote isn't my type of book to read, but I wish him well. My first line is “An angel of light stood before me, blonde, beautiful, one hand behind his back.” From Widow by Denise Weimer.

1bgpayne said...

My first line is from The Viscount’s Proposal by Melanie Dickerson
May 1813
Was this the night she would actually die of tedium, triviality, and hypocrisy?

Andi said...

Wow!! Happy Friday!!

Andi said...

He was here for Rock and Worship Road Show. I wanted to go, but it didn't fit in our schedule.

Andi said...

He's a favorite!

Andi said...

I have this on my kindle to read.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I like a couple of his songs; Happy Friday!

Jessica Baker said...

Love Steven Curtis Chapman!!! I've been eyeing that book as well :)

Dinh@Arlene's Book Club said...

"Bernadette had been dead two weeks when her sisters showed up in Doyle's living room asking for the statue back." - Run by Ann Patchett.

Happy Reading!
Dinh

Andi said...

I'm not a fan of memoirs either really, but I like him so I want to read it.

Andi said...

If you choose to buy one check the inside cover he may have signed it.

Andi said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by.

Kathleen Denly said...

I'm not a big fan of memoirs, but Steven has some great music out there. That first line is rich with senses.

Andi said...

Hi Kathleen! I'm not a big fan either, but I like him so this is one I will read.

diannekc said...

From Sunset in Old Savannah by Mary Ellis:

If ever there was a perfect time for Beth Kirby to get out of town, it was now.

diannekc said...

From Sunset in Old Savannah by Mary Ellis:

If ever there was a perfect time for Beth Kirby to get out of town, it was now.

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...