Thursday, March 22, 2018

Not A Word by Chautona Havig - Reviewed











About the book:

I’m saying that I’m not going to trash someone else’s reputation in a futile attempt to restore mine. Everyone would believe her. Why shouldn’t they? It’s probably the only lie she’s ever told in her life. Just happens to be the lie that ruined mine.
Words have power. Add a solid reputation behind those words, and they have the power to destroy.
It began with a lie.
Mac’s life changed irrevocably with a false accusation. Blissfully unaware of the carnage she left behind when she moved from Brant’s Corners, Savannah Forrester is back and when Mac sees her at church–with a boy–he wants answers.
For eight years he’s lived under the cloud of her accusations–without defending himself. He kept her secret. He endured the shame and the life-altering consequences.
Savannah can set the record straight. Mac says no. The ultimate question remains: what is best for Rory.
And who is Rory anyway?




About Chautona Havig:

**fingers skittle across the keyboard. Stop. Eyelids blink over the top**
Oh, was this bio day? Oops! I forgot. I was lost in my latest manuscript. Umm... bio. Yeah.
Hi! I'm Chautona Havig. (for those who care, that’s Shuh-TONE-uh HAVE-ig). Yeah. Just work with me here. I should have used a pseudonym, but when you grow up with a name like Chautona, it kind of sticks.
I live in a small, remote town in California’s Mojave Desert with my husband and several of my nine children (that number changes often, so...). When not writing, I enjoy a variety of crafts and reading. Oh, and I am so looking forward to retirement from home education.
Please stop in often. I offer free episodes of my serial novels, occasional Amazon gift card giveaways, and even opinions about writing, characters, inspiration, and books I’ve read recently—also free!
I write the stories of fictional people who have real problems, weaknesses, and triumphs. Through their stories, I try to share the Hope that is within me.


My Thoughts:

"It's probably the only lie she's ever told in her life. Just happens to be the lie that ruined mine."

Chautona Havig is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. This is just the second book I've read of hers and I loved it.

This book is about gossip and expectations. There are twenty-six verses in the Bible that address gossiping.
One of my favorites that I remember from childhood is Psalm 34:13 Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies. (NIV)

One thing I dislike about small towns and small churches is that too many people believe they know your business and don't, but they sure don't have a problem talking about what they believe they know.

Growing up in the church there is a level of expectation from your parents, and from everyone in the church. The worst part is that having such a high expectation doesn't give room for mistakes, and when a mistake is made those expectations can make it difficult to be transparent, which is what we watch Savannah go through in this book, and the judgement that the town wages on Mac.

My Bottom Line:

Ms. Havig creates a perfect little town environment with busybodies who clearly have way too much time on their hands, and parents who can't see how their expectations of their daughter may have brought about her actions. Mac the hero in the book is not the perfect knight in shining armor.
He's got loads of baggage, but deep down he longs to do the right thing. Through him, Ms. Havig shows Jesus in flesh, turning the other cheek, going the extra mile, being forgiving and loving; when you have every "right" to be the opposite.
And if you enjoy kids in books, she has created the cutest little boy named, Rory who is smart, witty, and can toss out one liners that will have you giggling. Highly recommended!



1 comment:

Chautona Havig said...

Oh, what an encouraging review of my favorite book (well, of my favorite of MY books, anyway). And Rory is probably my favorite character--DEFINITELY my favorite child character.

I really appreciate you taking the time to read and review.

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...