Friday, October 20, 2017

First Line Friday - Featuring The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner


Happy Friday! I hope you had a good week and are looking forward to a weekend to relax and read.

I got a new bookcase about a month ago and I am still working on getting all my books in the right spot. While doing that I found this gem, The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner, which is one of my favorite book of hers, and it was also the first one I read. You can read my review here.


About the book:

Lauren, a college student, helps Abigail Boyles, an 80-year-old recluse, transcribe the diary of Abigail's ancestral cousin, Mercy Hayworth--who was hanged for witchcraft. As secrets unfold, the extent to which the lives of these three women are connected comes to light, and both Lauren and Abigail find the very way they view the world irrevocably changed.









First Line:

I've heard the story countless times, how I grasped the delivering doctor's scrubs as he guided me into the Durough family universe of opportunity and duty. My father likes to say I came out of my mother's body insistent on being taken seriously, declaring to the doctor who held my slippery limbs that I was no helpless female unable to forge her way through the world of men.

Quite the intro huh?


Leave your first line in the comments and then head on over to Hoarding Books, see other's first lines, and leave your blog link, if you have one, so we can visit your blog.

Have a happy reading Friday and weekend!



14 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa. What an intro. Looks like a great book though. Thanks for sharing!

I’m sharing about Isaiah’s Daughter by Mesu Andrews on the blog today, but here I’m going to share the first line from The Esther Paradigm by Sarah Monzon.

Prologue
Hannah Pratt stared out across the grainy hills as the wind blew a gentle kiss over the crest.

Chapter 1
Hannah
This was not how I’d thought I would die.

Happy Friday!

Beth Erin said...

That cover is gorgeous! Here’s the first line from my next read:
“Fowltown Village, Georgia
Big Chestnut Moon (October) 1817
Captain Marcus Buck dropped to one knee beside an Indian’s crumpled form and swept a hand down her face, lowering her lids over sightless eyes.”
Drawn by the Frost Moon: Bitter Eyes No More by April W. Gardner

Iola said...

Yes, that is some intro! I'll check this one out. thanks for sharing!

I'm sharing from The Dishonourable Miss DeLancy over on my blog, but I'm currently reading The Captive Brides collection. I've just started Waltzing Matilda by Lucy Thompson. Here's the first line:

Matilda Brampton took one more look at the walls of the Parramatta Female Factory and vowed it would be her last.

JaneReads said...

Love this cover.
I am currently reading, Behind the Scenes by Jen Turano
"Pressing her nose against the glass of the carriage window, Miss Permilia Griswold felt her stomach begin to churn as she took note of the throngs of people lining Fifth Avenue."

Trisha said...

On my page I shared the first line from Heather Day Gilbert's "God's Daughter" a fantastic story rich in viking history. I would highly recommend the book to anyone who enjoys Historical Fiction.

I'll share here an old favorite of mine "Heidi"
From the old and pleasantly situated village of Mayenfeld, a footpath winds through green and shady meadows to the food of the mountains, which on this side look down from their stern and lofty heights upon the valley below.

englishmysteriesblog said...

Great first line. A new bookcase...sounds wonderful. :) Happy Saturday!

MeezCarrie said...

this is one of hers I haven't read yet! I need to, though!

Andi said...

It’s a FAB book! I’m toying with re-reading it! Have a great weekend!

Andi said...

I agree it is! Sounds like a good one!

Andi said...

Iola, you won’t be sorry reading this one. Happy Weekend!

Andi said...

I love Jen Turano’s books! Enjoy!

Andi said...

I have God’s Daughter on my kindle patiently waiting. Lol

Andi said...

It is so nice to finally have one that I can see and admire. Lol I still need to fine tune the organization of it.

Andi said...

It’s a great one! I think I’m partial to it because of the epilepsy thread.

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...