Thursday, February 15, 2024

Up From Dust; Martha's Story by Heather Kaufman Reviewed

 

                                                       

                                                        
About the book:

Title: Up From Dust; Martha's Story

Author: Heather Kaufman

Genre: Biblical fiction

No stranger to adversity, Martha of Bethany is a woman of dust, undone and unseen in her hurt and loss. After her mother's untimely death, the responsibility for raising her siblings—Lazarus and Mary—lies heavily on her shoulders. She finds solace in a new friendship and the beginnings of first love, but her father's disapproval and unforeseen hardship leave Martha broken and guarded.

Twelve years later, when her friend's husband contracts a severe disease, they send for the new rabbi, Jesus of Nazareth. Martha recognizes the miraculous Healer from a story she heard many years ago, and the life-changing encounter reawakens Martha's hardened heart, even as she faces an unknown future.

Grab your copy HERE!


My Thoughts:

Biblical fiction is one of my favorite genres and I love reading debut authors, so I got a bonus with this book! I have read three books about Martha and while I enjoyed each one I think Ms. Kaufman's is my favorite. It was clear she'd researched Martha, I liked how she showed why Mary was so frustrating to her. It made the story of Martha and Mary more realistic. I have a little brother so I could identify.

The pace of the book was perfect. I kept waiting for Jesus to arrive on the scene and was so glad when He did.

Ms. Kaufman is an author I will have on my radar and I highly recommend her. If you enjoy biblical fiction I encourage you to pick up this book. You won't be disappointed!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

About Heather Kaufman


Heather’s passion for storytelling started at an early age, from scribbled poetry at age six, to a full-length novel by sixteen. Over the years, her love of writing grew, eventually leading her to earn a BA in English from McKendree University and an MA in English, Writing Studies from the University of Missouri—St. Louis.

 

Heather is the author of multiple books and devotions and delights in highlighting the goodness of God through storytelling.

 

She is married to Andrew and together they have three adorable children and one persnickety dog. When not reading, writing, editing, or accumulating mounds of books, Heather can be found exploring new parks with her family, enjoying yet another cup of coffee, or working on a home improvement project. She and her family make their home in St. Louis, Missouri.


You can connect with Heather on the following social media accounts.


Facebook || Instagram || Goodreads || Website 

No comments:

These Tangled Threads: A Novel of Biltmore by Sarah Loudin Thomas Reviewed

  About the book: Title: These Tangled Threads: A Novel of Biltmore Author: Sarah Loudin Thomas Genre: Christian Historical Fiction, Histori...