Friday, March 9, 2018

First Line Friday - Olivia Twist





It's been a crazy week so I am very glad today is Friday. I strained my back on Tuesday and I've been attempting to take it easy, which I don't do very well, so I'm tired and cranky.

This book released on Tuesday, but I was able to get an early copy at Barnes and Noble on Saturday. I adore the cover and am anxious to read it.





About the book:

Olivia Brownlow is no damsel in distress. Born in a workhouse and raised as a boy among thieving London street gangs, she is as tough and cunning as they come. When she is taken in by her uncle after a caper gone wrong, her life goes from fighting and stealing on the streets to lavish dinners and soirees as a debutante in high society. But she can’t seem to escape her past … or forget the teeming slums where children just like her still scrabble to survive.
Jack MacCarron rose from his place in London’s East End to become the adopted “nephew” of a society matron. Little does society know that MacCarron is a false name for a boy once known among London gangs as the Artful Dodger, and that he and his “aunt” are robbing them blind every chance they get. When Jack encounters Olivia Brownlow in places he least expects, his curiosity is piqued. Why is a society girl helping a bunch of homeless orphan thieves? Even more intriguing, why does she remind him so much of someone he once knew? Jack finds himself wondering if going legit and risking it all might be worth it for love.
Olivia Twist is an innovative reimagining of Charles Dickens’ classic tale Oliver Twist, in which Olivia was forced to live as a boy for her own safety until she was rescued from the streets. Now eighteen, Olivia finds herself at a crossroads: revealed secrets threaten to destroy the “proper” life she has built for her herself, while newfound feelings for an arrogant young man she shouldn’t like could derail her carefully laid plans for the future.

Amazon || Barnes and Noble || Audible


First Line:

Prologue

1841 Holborn, London

For long minutes, there was considerable doubt as to whether the child would survive to bear a name at all. 


Quite a line, huh?

I'd love to hear your first line. Please leave it in the comments and then visit Hoarding Books to see their first line and all of the other participants. Sorry I didn't get around to everyone last Friday. I'll have more time today since I'm just home relaxing.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!



27 comments:

Fiction Aficionado said...

I keep seeing this book around the place. I'm thinking I might have to check it out myself.

I'm featuring the long-awaited conclusion to Ronie Kendig's fantasy series this week: Fierian. However here, I'll share the first line from Tammy L. Gray's new release, Until I Knew Myself:

"Even after his mom passed away, Tyler refused to call himself an orphan."

Have a great weekend! :-)

Ellie said...

I hope your back feels better soon!

I’m currently reading The Amish Nanny’s Sweetheart by Jan Drexler. The first line is “You’re sure you want to do this?”

Enjoy your new book!

Beckie B. said...

This book looks so good! Thanks for sharing!

My blog is featuring Beneath The Surface by Lynn H. Blackburn, but here I will share from As Bright As Heaven by Susan Meissner. "Morning light shimmers on the apricot horizon as I stand at the place where my baby boy rests."

Happy Friday!

Suzie Waltner said...

I always think I have a first line no one else will and then someone else is on the same wavelength as me. Great minds and all that :) But I can't wait to read this one!

I'm currently reading "My Heart Belongs in San Francisco, California: Abby's Prospects" by Janice Thompson. The first line is: "Never underestimate the power of coffee, Neville."

Enjoy your weekend!

Trisha said...

Over on my blog today I'm sharing the first line from Michelle Griep's newest book "The Innkeeper's Daughter". Drop on by if you get the chance and let me know if you are a fan of numbers. Have a wonderful weekend!

Jessica Baker said...

Second time I've seen this book today. It looks so interesting!!

I'll share the first line from Jessica Patch's new release, Secret Service Setup.

“Do you ever feel like sometimes the sunshine is deceiving because the day is going to be ominous regardless of how bright it is?”

Happy Friday friend!

Caryl Kane said...

Andi, I'm so sorry to hear about your back. I'm praying you are better soon!

Father Brian Flynn, the curate at St. Augustine's, Rossmore, hated the Feast Day of St. Ann with a passion that was unusual for a Catholic priest. - Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy

Happy Friday! :)

Alicia G. Ruggieri said...

This book sounds like fun! I'm going to have to check it out if I get a chance! :-)
Over on my blog, I'm sharing the first line of a wonderful new book about the Maccabees, Judah's Wife, but here I'll share the first line of the nonfiction book I'm reading now, Our Unmet Needs by Charles Stanley: "Do you have a nagging, gnawing feeling that something isn't quite right in your life? Do you feel overwhelmed by a need you can't meet, a problem you can't solve, or a question you can't answer? Are you able to identify the real need that underlies your feelings of uneasiness, fear, worry, or restlessness?"

englishmysteriesblog said...

This sounds like a wonderful book! I love Oliver Twist. :) Get well soon and happy Friday!

Becky said...

Happy Friday! I always love seeing what everyone is reading when I get to stop by! My first line is from A Refuge Assured by Jocelyn Green:

“Propping open the door to her shop, Vivienne Rivard listened to a distant rumble that vibrated the windows and shivered in her chest.”

Anneliese Dalaba said...

That book definitely interests me. I loved Oliver Twist. What a cool idea for a story this seems to be! On my blog, I'm featuring The Healer by Beverly Joy Roberts. It's an amazing fiction that moved me deeply. I hope you will take the time to check it out. Here, I will share the first line from a book by C.H. Spurgeon that I'm currently reading. "'Thou has visited me in the night.' --Psalm 18:3. 'Tis a theme for wonder that the glorious God should visit sinful man." Wishing you a blessed weekend.

Nicole Santana said...

Great first line!

Happy Friday!

Over on my blog today, I am sharing the first line from Kristi Ann Hunter's new novella, A Search for Refuge. I'm just on chapter two, so I will share the first line from that chapter here:

"Nash slid the tin of peppermints into his coat pocket and reached beneath the counter to pull out Mrs. Lancaster's log book."

Andi said...

I’m anxious to find a moment to start it. Have a great weekend!

Andi said...

Thanks! That line opens a ton of possibilities! Happy weekend!

Andi said...

I loved As Bright as Heaven. Susan Meissner is a favorite author of mine. Happy Friday!

Andi said...

Definitely, great minds! It released with at least two other books on Tuesday so that’s why I used it. Plus I had a copy. 😉

Andi said...

That book is really popular. I’m not a fan of numbers unless it’s in my bank account. Lol I prefer words.
Happy weekend!

Andi said...

Interesting. Happy weekend, friend!

Andi said...

Thanks, Caryl! Happy weekend!!

Andi said...

I can’t wait to read Judah’s Wife! Happy Friday!

Andi said...

Thanks! Happy weekend!

Andi said...

I need to read this one! Enjoy your weekend!

Andi said...

Thanks! Enjoy your weekend!

Andi said...

I love retellings so I am looking forward to it.
Enjoy your weekend!!

Paula Shreckhise said...

My first line is from A Most Noble Heir by Susan Anne Mason:
Derbyshire, England
March, 1884
Nolan Price scanned the fields of newly budding greenery that stretched as far as he could see and slowly inhaled the scent of grass, soil, and freshly spread manure.

Kathleen Denly said...

That is definitely an attention grabber!

Over on my blog, I am sharing the first line from Michelle Griep’s The Innkeeper’s Daughter which I will review soon.
Here, I will share one of my favorite lines from that book:
“It might’ve been a cozy inn at some point, but now the walls leaned in toward the soot-blackened ceiling, giving the impression the entire building wanted to lie down and rest.”

MeezCarrie said...

I cannot wait to read this book! Rest up!

My current first line is from Robin E. Mason's The Silent Song of Winter: "The sounds of the swamp in winter would scare another person but not me. I grew up here."

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...