Friday, March 24, 2017

First Line Friday #12


Happy Friday Y'all! It's time for First line Friday! Grab the book closest to you and write the first line in the comment section.


About the book:

Melanie runs away. From conflict. From pain. From reality. 

When novelist Melanie Vander faces a looming deadline, she decides it’s time for an escape to an inspiring, novel-worthy locale. She’s not running away. Really. She just needs time to focus. But as she disappears into her writing, she encounters a man whose tenderness leaves her reeling. Engaging and wise, psychologist Elliot Hammond tempts Melanie to question everything, including her marriage.

But that’s ridiculous. Dr. Hammond isn’t even…real.

Melanie’s husband, Craig, has his own problems, including a recession that’s threatening his business. Waning finances, a looming home foreclosure, and a wife who’s checked out emotionally, has Craig feeling as though he’s carrying his burdens alone. When his client, the beautiful and single Serena Buchanan, offers him a solution to his financial woes, he’s tempted by more than her offer of a business solution.

At a crossroads, Melanie and Craig seem headed in opposite directions.

As Melanie runs away from her problems by escaping into her own fictional world, Craig dives into his struggles, seeking God for strength and healing for his marriage. Ultimately, Melanie must choose whether she’ll check out completely, or allow her characters to lead her home.


First Line:

I run away. From conflict. From pain. From reality. At least that's Craig's assertion--one he's maintained through twenty-three years of marriage.

Visit my blogger friends, see their first line and leave yours in the comment section.

Amanda at With A Joyful Noise

Beth Erin at Faithfully Bookish

Bree at Bibliophile Reviews 

Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower

Heather at Encouraging Words From the Tea Queen


Jessica at  A Baker's Perspective 

Kathleen at Kathleen Denly

Katie at Fiction Aficionado

Lauraine at Lauraine's Notes

Rachel at Bookworm Mama 

Robin at Robin's Nest

Sarah at All The Book Blog Names Are Taken

Sydney at Singing Librarian
 



 

21 comments:

Becky said...

Happy Friday! I've never heard of this author or her book. It sounds interesting.
My first line is from Joel C. Rosenberg’s new book Without Warning:
“I had never been in the Oval Office before.
But I’d always imagined my first time going differently.”

Dinh@Arlene's Book Club said...

I was staring out of the classroom window and daydreaming of adventure when I spotted the flying saucer. - Armada by Ernest Cline.

Happy w/end!

Dinh@Arlene's Book Club

Caryl Kane said...

Earlier this week I read Flames by Ginny and enjoyed it.

Here is my first line.

Claire Murray headed for the barn, a burst of cold air lifting her long blonde hair and tossing it into her face. – To Dance with Dolphins by Bonnie Leon

Happy Friday and Happy Reading!

Amanda Tero said...

Sounds like an interesting premise. Is it written in present tense? I've only read one novel written that way... it was interesting.

Barbara said...

"No room!" The man with the large hat exclaimed. - Pool Tears by Erin Pyne (another take on Alice in Wonderland)

I bought this book ages ago at an art gallery in Asheville, NC, and I'm finally reading through it. One of the best parts of this short book is the illustrations created by Cayce Moyer.

Andi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andi said...

I loved that book! So good!

Andi said...

It's written in both past and present alternating between the wife, Melanie and the husband, Craig.

Andi said...

Sounds fun.

Andi said...

Happy Weekend! Thanks for sharing!

Andi said...

Now that's a interesting line.

Kathleen Denly said...

What a tragic premise. I want to cry just thinking about it. I sure hope they pull things together in the end. I like that the author goes for first person narrative. I bet it works well with this story, but it makes me curious how she handles the husband's perspective. Does she swap POV between chapters?

Andi said...

Yes she alternates between the husband and wife. It's heartbreaking!

englishmysteriesblog said...

Happy Friday! Interesting first line...is she married to this man? Is that how he knows she runs away from everything?

Andi said...

Happy Friday! Yes, they are married and she writes from both the husband and wife's POV.

Sydney Anderson said...

This one looks interesting. :)

Jessica Baker said...

Just got this book to review! Looks to be a good one.

Andi said...

I just started it and it is really good.

Andi said...

I got it a few weeks ago and just started it. You'll like it. It is heart wrenching!

Bookworm Mama said...

I have not heard of this author. Thanks for sharing!

Andi said...

Hi Rachel! I'm not at home so I can't look at her other books but she is a favorite of mine. If you like family type dramas then you will enjoy her books.

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...