Monday, September 7, 2009

FEARLESS BY MAX LUCADO

Book Description: Each sunrise seems to bring fresh reasons for fear.
They're talking layoffs at work, slowdowns in the economy, flare-ups in the Middle East, turnovers at headquarters, downturns in the housing market, upswings in global warming. The plague of our day, terrorism, begins with the word terror. Fear, it seems, has taken up a hundred-year lease on the building next door and set up shop. Oversized and rude, fear herds us into a prison of unlocked doors. Wouldn't it be great to walk out?
Imagine your life, wholly untouched by angst. What if faith, not fear, was your default reaction to threats? If you could hover a fear magnet over your heart and extract every last shaving of dread, insecurity, or doubt, what would remain? Envision a day, just one day, where you could trust more and fear less.
Can you imagine your life without fear?





My Thoughts: Unfortunately I think Max Lucado missed it this time. I have no idea why he would tackle a subject like fear for Christians and come from the POV that ALL Christians have fear. Especially when we're taught That perfect love Casts out all fear. I John 4:18

In chapter 2 - Fear Of Not Mattering - In this chapter he makes the comment on page 21 that we wear our college rings on our fingers because we covet some stilts, meaning being noticed. He takes it a step further on page 22 saying that having children gives meaning to ourselves. I was really shocked that he would use these examples. For me, I wear my high school ring because it is very dear to me and holds a lot of memories; and with my children that wasn't even a thought in my head.

There was one chapter that I did identify with and that was Chapter 5 My Child Is In Danger. I could relate to it as a parent from jr. high on. I say that because when their little they need you for everything. Once they become teens your not needed unless it's a crisis, and then we can't protect them from their heart getting hurt, making the wrong decision, it's all up to them. We have to trust what we've done.

Overall, this was not a homerun for me. I found it to be very depressing rather than encouraging and uplifting; which is a real shock coming from Max Lucado. I say read with caution. I don't have fear in my life and yet I'm going through a huge life changing situation. I would like to add this. I would recommend this book not for a seasoned Christian or one that has grown up in the church surrounded by encouragement and has had the chance to have the growing pains that all Christians go through. I would however give this book to a new Christian or that one who is new in their faith and going through something like a divorce, bankrupcy, death of a child or the like. I believe they would benefit from it greatly.

No comments:

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...