Friday, June 23, 2017

First Line Friday # 25





It's Friday, time for no alarm clocks, late nights, days spent with friends and family, and reading.


Today I am featuring The Noble Servant by Melanie Dickerson. This fairy tale retelling is based on the goose girl, one I am not familiar with, but know that Ms. Dickerson will make it unforgettable.



About the book:

She lost everything to an evil conspiracy . . . but that loss may just give her all she ever wanted.
Since meeting Steffan, the Duke of Wolfberg, at Thornbeck Castle, Lady Magdalen has not been able to stop thinking about him. She knows—as a penniless lady with little to offer in terms of a dowry—she has no real hope of marrying such a highly titled man, so it comes as a great surprise when she receives a letter from him, asking for her hand in marriage.
But all is not what it seems at Wolfberg Castle. Steffan has been evicted by his scheming uncle, and his cousin has taken over the title of duke. Left for dead, Steffan is able to escape, and disguised as a shepherd, hopes to gain entry to the castle to claim the items that will prove he is the true Duke of Wolfberg.
Journeying to the castle, Magdalen has no idea what awaits her, but she certainly did not expect her loyal maidservant to turn on her. Forcing Magdalen to trade places with her, the servant plans to marry the duke and force Magdalen to tend the geese.
Without their respective titles—and the privileges that came with them—Steffan and Magdalen are reunited in the shepherd’s field. Together they conspire to get back their rightful titles. But they must hurry . . . or else they risk losing it all to the uncle’s evil plan.


First Line

The year 1365, Barony of Mallin, the Holy Roman Empire

"Where do you think you are going looking like a beggar?" Mother asked 
Magdalen's hand was on the door. "Just walking."


What is your first line? Leave it in the comments and then go and visit my friends to see their first lines.
If you'd like to be apart of our First Line group, send Carrie from Reading is My Superpower an email.


With A Joyful Noise  Faithfully Bookish  Bibliophile Reviews 

Reading is my SuperPower  Encouraging Words From the Tea Queen  

A Baker's Perspective Kathy Denly  Fiction Aficionado  

Lauraine's Notes  Bookworm Mama  Robin's Nest  

All the Book Blog Names are Taken  Singing Librarian  Moments Dipped in Ink  

Cafinated Reads  Joy of Reading  CJ Reads






24 comments:

Fiction Aficionado said...

I'm not familiar with that one either.

I have the first line from Kara Isaac's AMAZING new release "Then There Was You" on my blog, but the first line I'm sharing here is from Kara Swanson's recent release, "The Girl Who Could See". (It must be a Kara kind of day!)

"On television crime shows, they never tell you how cold it is."

Unknown said...

I haven't heard of that one.

Here's mine. Mistakenly Married by Victorine Lieske: "Penny wrung her hands and walked to the back of the room."

Caryl Kane said...

I need to read Melanie's books!

Suzie shivered at Carson Snotte's words, not the March air with its hint of lingering winter. Barely Above Water by Gail Pallotta

Becky said...

My first line is from Sweetbriar Cottage by Denise Hunter: "There was nothing like a letter from the IRS to stop a man in his tracks."

Amanda Tero said...

One day I hope to read this!

On my blog is the first line from "Promise Me This" by Cathy Gohlke, but here I'll share the first line of the book I got in the mail yesterday: "Heart on the Line" by Karen Witemeyer! This will be my first to read of hers...
"The cheerful tinkle of a bell alerted Grace Mallory to the arrival of a guest."

Melanie Dickerson said...

Yay! Thanks, Andi! :-) I hope you enjoy Magdalen and Steffan's story!

Trisha said...

Such an enjoyable book to read!

I'll share a different line here than the one on my blog, just to keep things interesting! Last night I started reading Amber Lynn Perry's new book "So Pure a Heart".
"Alone, Hannah Young stared at the dirt-covered mound as the chilled air breached the warmth of her heavy cloak."

Andrea Stephens said...

From a book, I finally got to read from my TBR list.
The little hairs on the back of Allegra Spencer's neck stood at attention.
First line from: Count Me In by Mikal Dawn

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I'm unfamiliar with that one also - isn't it funny how for some (like me!) if it is not a Disney version, it is unknown? Have a great weekend!

Kathleen Denly said...

I love fairy tale retellings. :) Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

"It is a secret I intend to keep buried forever."
- An Unforgivable Secret, J.E.B. Spredemann

KaraSiawiGirl said...

AWWW! Thank you for quoting my little story :)

Andi said...

She is a super talented writer! Happy Weekend!

Andi said...

Isn't it funny that we only know the fairytales related to Disney movies. Lol

Andi said...

Yes, you do! ;) Happy Weekend!

Andi said...

Definitely stop you in your tracks!

Andi said...

Welcome Melanie! I am hoping to read it soon! I'm sure I'll love it!

Andi said...

Always nice when you can check a book off your TBR. Happy weekend!

Andi said...

I know right! Happy weekend!

Andi said...

Me too! Happy weekend!

Andi said...

Thanks for stopping by! Happy weekend!

englishmysteriesblog said...

I love Melanie Dickerson's fairy tale collection books! I just finished The Silent Songbird...it was excellent. :)

Beth Erin said...

I need to catch up in this series!

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Happy 4th of July!

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...