Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Pharaoh's Daughter by Mesu Andrews

The Pharaoh's Daughter: A Treasures of the Nile Novel“You will be called Anippe, daughter of the Nile. Do you like it?” Without waiting for a reply, she pulls me into her squishy, round tummy for a hug.
I’m trying not to cry. Pharaoh’s daughters don’t cry.
When we make our way down the tiled hall, I try to stop at ummi Kiya’s chamber. I know her spirit has flown yet I long for one more moment. Amenia pushes me past so I keep walking and don’t look back.
Like the waters of the Nile, I will flow.

Anippe has grown up in the shadows of Egypt’s good god Pharaoh, aware that Anubis, god of the afterlife, may take her or her siblings at any moment. She watched him snatch her mother and infant brother during childbirth, a moment which awakens in her a terrible dread of ever bearing a child. Now she is to be become the bride of Sebak, a kind but quick-tempered Captain of Pharaoh Tut’s army. In order to provide Sebak the heir he deserves and yet protect herself from the underworld gods, Anippe must launch a series of deceptions, even involving the Hebrew midwives—women ordered by Tut to drown the sons of their own people in the Nile.
     When she finds a baby floating in a basket on the great river, Anippe believes Egypt’s gods have answered her pleas, entrenching her more deeply in deception and placing her and her son Mehy, whom handmaiden Miriam calls Moses, in mortal danger.
  As bloodshed and savage politics shift the balance of power in Egypt, the gods reveal their fickle natures and Anippe wonders if her son, a boy of Hebrew blood, could one day become king. Or does the god of her H
ebrew servants, the one they call El Shaddai, have a different plan—for them all?

  

Mesu Andrews
About this author
:
Mesu Andrews is an author and speaker who has devoted herself to passionate study of Scripture. Harnessing her deep love for God’s Word, Andrews brings the biblical world alive for her audiences.

Mesu and her husband, Roy, have two grown children and (Praise God!) a growing number of grandkids. They live in Washington, where Roy teaches at Multnomah University. They have a Rottweiler-pitbull named Bouzer who keeps Mesu company while she writes.

She’s published two books, Love Amid the Ashes and Love’s Sacred Song. Two more are scheduled for release with Revell in March of 2013 and 2014.


 
 
 
I grew up knowing the story of Moses, I not only knew the story, I Bible quizzed on Exodus and was even a Bible quiz leader when my girls were younger and they were studying Exodus. In fact one of their favorite movies is The Prince of Egypt.  We know the story from Moses' point of view, the baby put in a basket to float the Nile river that was infested with crocodile's who was saved by Pharoah's daughter and raised as an Egyptian Prince. We don't know Moses' story from Pharoah's daughter's point of view. In true Mesu style she brings us Anippe's story, Pharaoh's daughter and what she may have gone through. Her insight and knowledge of the scriptures comes through in volumes, and The Pharoah's Daughter is a beautiful story of Anippe and Moses. I felt like I had been transported back in time to Egypt as I read this book. Once again Mesu has taken us back in time, and given us a story for the ages. I highly recommend it!




                                                                                                

1 comment:

The Better Baker said...

What a beautiful post and awesome review!!

First Line Friday Featuring Riot (A Breed Apart: Legacy #3) by Ronie Kendig and JJ Samie Myles

  Happy Friday!! Welcome to the weekend!!! Today I am featuring one of my favorite authors, Ronie Kendig. I loved A Breed Apart series and I...